Teresa along with two of her sweet friends (Radka and Vanessa) took us to Stramberk, a cute little town about 45 minutes away. Here a link for you to view the details.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0tramberk. We went up to the Truba Castle Tower and took some great shots. Here is one:
| View from Tower |
| Seer and I in a cute underground pub |
What was the highlight of the trip was learning about the "Kingdom of Wallachia". It is a tongue and cheek "micro-nation" within the Czech Repulic and it is one of their biggest tourist attractions. Teresa and her friends had met the founder Tomáš Harabiš, who created this little "nation" back in 1997 and he invited us to come to his pub at the base of the tower. He is a photographer who has been all over the world. We found him to be so interesting. He grew up under communism as a child with a dream of wanting to be an explorer. Of course at this time his government did not allow normal citizens to travel out of communist countries. As soon as Czech gained its' democracy, the first thing he did was buy a ticket and starting traveling. He traveled for ten years and became a prominent photographer, and a good businessman.
(from Seer) When I heard his story I was in awe of God's faithfulness to us. Here is a prime situation of hope overcoming the bondage of oppression. I see God forming this dream in Tomas as a kid and him never letting it go. It speaks to my spirit about vision and trust.
He came back home and created this nation, "The Wallachian Kingdom", as what he calls an "elaborate practical joke". They have a faux history, a flag, money, and even fake passports. Here is a link to see more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Wallachia
So after the tower we went to his pub, and sat there for hours laughing, eating and drinking all the yummy traditional food and drinks, and hearing about his adventures and of course, playing music. It was so great! Then as a surprise to us, Tomas and his wife gave us presents and made us "honorary citizens of the kingdom'. He gave us passports and put is "official" signature on it and said we can come back anytime we want! :-)
| Seer and I in second pub |
I know we look like we have gained 20 pounds in the last two weeks. Probably because everyone keeps feeding us, but mainly because of the 3 (that's right THREE) layers we have to wear just to go outside! Most people are saying we have been lucky because the weather has been "not that cold". Ha ha!
| Seer and I with our new friends and our Wallachian Passports! |
| The whole crew! |
| Radka, Vanessa and Teresa in front of Tower |
Travel Tip #6: Take time to talk to some "locals". It costs you nothing, your entire experience will be richer and you might make some life-long friends. I find that most people like to talk to people from other countries especially if you are interested in and respectful of their culture.
**Insert from the Wallachian Manual, "How and Why you should emigrate to the Wallachian Kingdom":
"The weather in the Wallachian Kingdom is definately easy and quick to recognize. All you need is one shoelace (the slower of you may use both shoe laces, if you desire). Grip the shoelace in your hand (the slower of you may use both hands) and hold it out in front of you. Now carefully observe the shoelace for at least a minute. (all the meterologists will envy you this method). Evaluation:
The shoelace throws a shadow: The sun is shining
The shoelace doesn't move: It's overcast
The shoelace is moving: The wind is blowing
The shoelace is wet: It's raining
The shoelace is hard: It's freezing
The shoelace can't be seen: It's foggy"
The day we were there, the shoelace was definately hard! :-)
I hope you are all having a great and blessed day!
Love and two kisses from the Honorary Subjects of the Wallachian Kingdom,
Michelle & Seer
Fascinating and fun post! I'm freezing just reading it!! You guys look great. I always imagined sitting in a pub laughing and eating the local food on a great travel. You deserve it. I know I keep repeating it Shell, but that banquet table keeps on feeding you!!
ReplyDeleteBy far, the funnest post and trip! Wow, how adventurous and definitely entrepreneurial of Tomas to create his kingdom. That inspires me to do a blog... You and Seer continue to make me laugh and I'm so glad you are both having such a blast! Try to stay warm. BTW, Shelf, I dreamt about you. You were back home, and you were tiny! Though the banquet table is feeding you (thanks Mary for the reminder), you weren't gaining vacation weight. Hugs to Teri Lee aka Bruce! And of course to Mr. Harden. Love you!
ReplyDelete